CAT Magazine

CAT Magazine

July Blog Feature of the Month



Sally Sapphire – Bibrary Bookslut

More years ago than I’d care to share (or remember) a colleague good-naturedly accused me of being a Bookslut. You see, I had a habit – still do, as a matter of fact – of getting lost amidst the shelves of used bookstores during my lunch hour. As a result, I’d come rushing back to the office, usually at the very last minute, with volumes of literary sustenance in the crook of my arm, but little more than a snack in my hands. That nickname stuck, and I’ve proudly worn the scarlet badge of ‘Bookslut’ ever since.

It's tongue-in-cheek, a bit naughty, and has a nice ring of alliteration with Bibrary, which is the companion site I've been managing since 2006.
More than anything else in my life, books have always defined me. As an (admittedly) precocious child, I secretly made the leap from the juvenile shelves straight to streets of Stephen King’s Castle Rock; as an overachieving teenager I hid the likes of Melanie Rawn and Michael Moorcock inside my text books – and generally managed to bluff my way though any questions that came my way; as a young career-woman, I may even have ‘exaggerated’ a family illness for the chance to attend a writing workshop with Nancy Kilpatrick (although I’ll deny it, if ever confronted!).

The only thing I love more than curling up with a good book is sharing one with friends and watching them fall in love. That’s a large part of why I started blogging.

When I first started blogging, it seemed like every blogger out there had their own particular ‘niche’ to blog about. Some dedicated themselves to romance, others to young-adult fiction, others to urban fantasy, and others to their own literary passions. Since I was already maintaining my index of LGBT relevant speculative fiction, it seemed only natural to make my blog an extension of what I had established with my Bibrary site. So, with no real idea of what I was doing, how to make my blog a success, or of even how to measure my success, I posted my first book review, and never looked back.

I did, however, take stock after a few months and decide to embrace the eclectic diversity of my bookshelves, making my niche a focus, rather than an arbitrary restriction.

I already mentioned that sharing my love for books is the primary motivation behind my blogging, but the secondary motivation is one that took me a while to recognize. The longer I’ve been blogging, the more I’ve come to realise that it’s also my opportunity to say ‘thanks’ and to give a little something back to the authors I love. For every comment I get from a reader who has been sufficiently intrigued by my blogging to check out a new author, I feel like I’ve made a match between friends.

That’s where my participation with the Virtual Book Tour Café comes in. Each tour is a chance to discover, to share, to give back, and to play a role (as small as it may be) in contributing to the success of the authors participating. In many ways, it’s the most rewarding aspect of book blogging, because there exists the potential to have such an impact. Knowing you’ve helped sell book one-million-and-one for a best-selling author is nice, but knowing you’ve helped sell book one-hundred-and-one, or even ten-thousand-and-one, for an author who has poured their heart and soul into their work . . . well, that’s almost as magical as getting lost in a good book.

0 Response to "July Blog Feature of the Month"